Page 11 Rio Grande Valley Visitors Guide 2026-2027 Fort Treviño-San Ygnacio For a look into Spanish Colonialism on the north side of the Rio Grande, drive out to San Ignacio and look at Fort Treviño, located at the corner of Uribe St. and Treviño St., from the outside. Built in 1830 this former residence of Jesus Treviño is typical of the homes built during the 1750s to early 1800s. The fort has been called one of the outstanding examples of Spanish heritage and architecture in the Rio Grande Valley. San Ygnacio is the only place left that has this type of Spanish colonial dwellings. Others that existed in the area were destroyed when Falcon Dam and Lake were built. Over 100 buildings in San Ygnacio are listed on the National Register as part of a National Historic District featuring Spanish Colonial Homes. The home is built out of sandstone walls, and features troneras, small openings in the walls, where settlers fighting Indians could stick their guns through the walls and shoot without fear of being hit by a roving Indian. There is a stone sundial at the entrance to the fort. The courtyard has a well and room for a horse and carriage, a few goats, and chickens. Settlers under siege could set up in the fort for long periods of time without fear the Indians could storm the place. The fort is open for viewing the first Sunday of every month from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. For more info visit www.riverpierce.org or call (956) 7506115. Falcon Lake & Falcon State Park The park is located on the shores of Falcon Lake at 146 Park Rd. 46, Falcon Heights and FM 2098, off Hwy 83. It is open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., 365 days a year. For more information call (956) 8485327 or visit www.tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/ falcon. Falcon Dam The need for water and electrical power for the growing demands of the Rio Grande Valley and Texas border resulted in a Water Treaty of 1944 with Mexico to build three dams on the Rio Grande River. Construction of the $35 million Falcon Dam began in 1950 and was completed in 1954. The dam and reservoir cover 87,000 acres of land. In 1953, the dam was dedicated by President Dwight Eisenhower, marking the first presidential visit to the Rio Grande Valley in history. Falcon Dam is located about 14 miles northwest of Roma on FM 2098. Roma National Historic Landmark District The 19th-century town of Roma, located in Western Starr County, was once an important shipping point for steamboats along the Rio Grande. The site was first settled in 1765 and
RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MTczOTk5Mg==