The city-block complex of the Museum of South Texas History (MOSTH) was once housed in the 1910 Jail, an artifact that has captured the attention and curiosity of the community. The jail, which was closed between 2012 and 2020, is the oldest standing historic structure in the city of Edinburg. It will open sometime in 2021 with all-new permanent and temporary exhibits. Hear more about the renovation of the building and installation of the exhibits during the Sunday Speaker Series Online presentation, “The 1910 Jail: Behind the Scenes,” at 2 p.m. on January 24 on Facebook Live.
The museum closed the 1910 Jail building to the public in 2012 due to structural problems. After a successful capital campaign, Austin-based Pony Allen Studios was hired to assist museum staff design, construct and install the new exhibits such as “The 1910 Jail: An Arresting Artifact” and “Faces de la Frontera.” During the presentation, viewers will have an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at exhibit development that feature hidden treasures.
Pony Allen, owner of Pony Allen Studios, is a museum exhibition designer with more than 25 years of experience in museum exhibition development, design and lighting, and project management. Pony Allen Studios specializes in creating engaging exhibits that inspire learning and enjoyment for visitors.
The presentation will broadcast at facebook.com/MOSTHistory/live. Viewers are encouraged to interact with panelists by posting comments and questions on the live feed. The presentation will also be recorded and posted for public access on the museum’s website at mosthistory.org.
This program is made possible by the generous support from the Carmen C. Guerra Endowment. Mrs. Guerra was committed to educational causes in the Rio Grande Valley. This named endowment was created by her family to honor her memory and to continue providing educational opportunities for the community.
About Museum of South Texas History
The Museum of South Texas History is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. It is located downtown Edinburg at 200 North Closner Boulevard on the Hidalgo County Courthouse square. Founded in 1967 as the Hidalgo County Historical Museum in the 1910 Hidalgo County Jail, the museum has grown over the decades through a series of expansions to occupy a full city block.
In 2003, following the completion of a 22,500 square foot expansion, the museum was renamed the Museum of South Texas History to better reflect its regional scope. Today, the museum preserves and presents the borderland heritage of South Texas and Northeastern Mexico through its permanent collection and the Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives and exhibits spanning prehistory through the 20th century.
For more information about MOSTHistory, including becoming a FRIEND, visit MOSTHistory.org, like us on Facebook and Instagram, follow on Twitter, find on YouTube or call (956) 383-6911.