Text Size

20240110 Green Gate Grove Jam 1 PRINTAt Greengate Grove, the country/gospel jam takes place in the recreational hall each Saturday from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. It is managed by George Bowers, who with his wife, live full time at Greengate Grove. George also performs with his vocals and guitar at the jams. Prior to the start of each jam, a delicious meal is served at a modest price. Halfway through the jam, the residents provide home baked cookies and cakes. The jam is a success thanks to George and residents like Katie Gallaway who greet each jammer and visitor personally while also helping to prepare and serve the food, treats, or handling the 50/50 sales.

This jam took place in November and featured country songs such as Amarillo by Morning, Blackboard of my Heart, Ashes of Love, Big River, Dreams of a Dreamer, Help Me Make It Through the Night, Don’t Worry About Me, Hey Good Lookin’, I Started Loving Her Today, and so many more great country tunes. Some gospel songs included I’ll Fly Away, Where Could I Go, and I Saw the Light.

The stage band, which supports each jammer, features Lewis Long (rhythm guitar/vocalist), Ron Ford (rhythm and bass guitar and vocalist), George Epley (lead guitar and vocalist), Don McGhghy (bass guitar and stage band manager), and Frank Deramus (rhythm guitar/vocalist).

The 23 jammers who performed at this jam were Linda Deramus, Ed Erwin, Learnie Fulk, Verna Funk, Pete Gibson, Ray Glenn, Judy Goolsby, Renie Halverson, Jane LaPoint, Patrick LaBore, Tom Masha, Darleen Moore, Don Nelson, Tony Ozark, Ed Robinson, Dennis Salo, Helen Salo, Louise Sevasin, Hope Stockkwell, Ruth White, Anna Wiens, Lonnie, and Kathy.

20240110 Green Gate Grove Jam 2 PRINTOne of the featured musicians was George Bowers. George was inspired by his grandfather to pursue music at the age of 10. He learned to play the guitar and began singing in church and school bands. His favorite is folk music from the 1960’s and 1970’s.

George worked in the automotive industry and retired as a corporate manager. After a long hiatus from music, he started playing music again following his retirement in 2014. Besides Greengate Grove, he performs weekly at Heritage Square jams while also performing for fundraisers for things like the Penitas Food Bank. He has inspired his son to pursue music who now performs at church functions.

Another standout musician was Anna Wiens whose home is in St. Catharines Ontario, Canada. She is also a Winter Texan that resides at Greengate Grove. Anna enjoys the South American culture and music as she was born in Argentina. She decided at age 40 to pursue her musical ambitions by learning to play the folk harp. By age 50, she was performing with her harp in church choirs.

Anna’s current performance harp is a unique handcrafted Paraguayan Folk Harp which is custom made in a workshop in Paraguay, South America. She performs weekly with her harp at Dream Valley Ranch, Greengate Grove, Heritage Square, Hidden Valley Ranch, and Quiet Village II. Anna also performs at church services and other senior communities in the RGV and Canada. She believes her country and gospel music helps her to share her faith with others.

Greengate Grove is a gated 55 and over adult community located at 2135 S. Bentsen Palm Drive in Palmview with 424 lots owned by the residents. Greengate Grove started as an RV park in the 1980’s but since has evolved into a mixture of RV, mobile homes, and standard residential homes. The current owner, Loren Kahl, purchased Greengate Grove in 1991 and took over management of the park in 1999.

Login