Text Size

20240131 Bentsen Palm Jam webThe owners, Billy and Willeta Borden, have created an inspirational ambiance to motivate 55+ musicians to provide memorable artistic experiences to the listeners who attend the weekly country-gospel jams on Fridays from 1 to 3 p.m. at Bentsen Palm recreation hall.

Both the activity director, Karla Laackmann and the office manager, Victoria, assist in getting volunteers to ensure that each jam is functioning effectively. One of these volunteers is Ed Ervin who manages the jam and arranges for the members of the stage band that supports each musician. Ed is on stage with his guitar and is accompanied by Pete Gibson who plays dobro guitar/lead guitar and Michael Kilmer at bass guitar.

Besides the stage band, this jam was blessed to have the following 15 jammers perform their country favorites: Rick (guitar) and Karen (mandolin) Anderson, Kathy Baehr, Vickie Ervin, Mark Fecho (banjo), Judy Goolsey, John Mosqueda, Tony Ozark, Gene (guitar) and Mary Scott, Ron Stacy (guitar), Dixie and Frank (guitar) Rinchiuso, Ted Weishar (guitar) and Marvin Willis (trumpet).

20240131 Bentsen Palm Jam 3 webSome of the great country music provided was Don’t Worry About Me, He Started Loving Her Today, He’ll Have to Go, Have I Told You Lately That I love You, Kentucky Girl, Making Believe, Mama’s Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys, Rambling Man, Take These Chains From My Heart and Set Me Free, Tennessee Waltz, Together Again, Truck Driving Man, Walkin’ After Midnight, and Your Cheating Heart.

This jam features Pete Gibson who performs either on stage or as a jammer using his voice and either his acoustic guitar, bass guitar, dobro guitar or ukulele. Pete is a Minnesota Winter Texan who pursued music following his retirement as a state trooper. In his youth, he played drums and sang in church choirs.

Pete also performs at other jams, including Green Gate Grove, J-5, Lamplighter, Mission Bell, and Mission West. He also performs at jams held in Minnesota and entertains residents and staff at nursing homes.

Pete performs with bands located in Florida, Minnesota, and Texas such as the Wyoming Wanders, Log Jammers, and Geezers. He started his own bands in Florida and Minnesota – Rarely Scene, Chicago Lakes Ukulele band, and Iona Uke band. He also has taught others to play the ukulele. He attends these jams and provides music because he loves to see people smile and for them to sing along with the music.

Bentsen Palm RV Park is located in Mission at 3501 N. Bentsen Palm Drive. The owners, staff, and volunteers treat everyone like family.

Login