Text Size

20240306 Pharr South Jam 2 webAnother fantastic park and country jam is held on Thursdays from 1-3 p.m. during the winter season at Pharr South, located at 1402 South Cage Boulevard in Pharr. I attended a February jam and was warmly received by the office manager Lefa Pendleton and the activity director/chair of the jam, Ted Yoder. The master of ceremonies was Jane Heinen who announced each musician prior to their performance. Jane was assisted by Judy O’Hair and Margie Katzmann. This was the largest jam that I attended so far this season with over 200 people in the audience.

Each jammer was supported by talented musicians who comprised the stage band: Dale Eichor (bass guitar), George Epley (stage band manager and lead guitar), Red Foster (rhythm guitar), Judy Pinner (keyboard), Phillip Raiche (drummer), Rich Rohrback (pedal steel guitar), Dean Schilling (trumpet), and Leah Wuestenberg (fiddle).

The following are the 28 musician jammers who entertained the audience: John Bennett, Bart Bergquist, Ed Black, Janet Bland, Charlie Cassaday, Allen Cully, Richard Daniels, Stephan Estys, Harvey Goehring, Sandy Grady, Jane Heinen, Peggy Hertzfeldt, Billy Hick, Alice Johnston, Jane Kumor, Judy O’Hair, Joy Padgett, Dave Perryman, Anna Pisano, Evelyn Ringlar, Jill Rohrback, Darrell Rogers, Bobby Rosier, Tom Schneider, Alex Vahey, Gaylan and Murt Van Houten, and Mark Wuestenberg.

Some of the songs that were performed were Cowboy Sweetheart, Don’t be Angry, Folsom Prison Blues, Help Me Make it Through the Night, I Can’t Help it if I’m Still in Love With You, Pennsylvania Polka, Sing Me Back Home, Send Me the Pillow That You Dream On, This is Where the Cowboy Rides Away, Seven Spanish Angels, Tennessee Waltz, Waltz Across Texas, Welcome to My World, Wooden Heart and many other favorite country hits.

20240306 Pharr South Jam webThe featured musician is Jill Rohrback from Illinois who started her musical journey thanks to the encouragement of her mother and older sister. Jill was taking piano lessons and singing in the church choir by the age of four. She has performed on TV and made CD’s with a group named Music Mates.

In addition to singing in church choirs, school choirs, community choirs and barbershop quartets, Jill performs on several instruments, including the piano, organ, keyboard, flute, trumpet, clarinet, handbells, harmonica, penny whistle, Indian flute, and recorder.

Jill has performed with the following groups as a child or as an adult: Forkner Five as a family group performing all over the country as a child and teenager, RGV Concert Band, Winter Texan Orchestra, Tiny Hill Big Band, Lisle Community Concert Band, GE Corporate Choir, Skokie Community Choir and with Del Puschert and Red Arwood. Jill also is on stage at McAllen Mobile Park Big Band and Tip of Texas Park country jams.

Jill and her husband Rich were in charge of the country jam at Texas Trails Park for six years. She also volunteers at churches including McAllen First United Methodist and Barr Ridge United Church of Christ and is the music and choir director at Texas Trails Christian Fellowship.

Login